Saturday, October 2, 2010

Advertising on the Internet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLTIowBF0kE&feature=channel

You've probably seen the above commercial at one point or another, but if you haven't, it is basically a HILARIOUS commercial advertising Old Spice products for men! The commercial's basic layout that it uses in order to convince you to buy the product is to show you a man doing unbelievable things that aren't possible for the average male, but at least you can smell like this godly man! Now, can we accept his bold claims?

First we must identify the claim, which simply put is that using Old Spice will make you smell like the perfect man (refer to the commercial for all the examples!) One of the ways that you can accept or reject a claim is to use your personal experience, and in my personal experience, Old Spice smells pretty darn good, and is a product I use everyday! I guess if you could put it into words, Old Spice does make you smell like a godly man! So even though his claims are really outrageous, I can accept the claims because he is arguing that this is what a godly man smells like, not that Old Spice will make you able to do the unbelievable things he does in the commercial.

3 comments:

  1. I have seem this commercial many times. This is a very funny advertisement. This commercial definitely make some very bold claims. I agree with you that the claim is that Old Spice will make you smell like the perfect man. I am not too familiar with how this product smells so I can not say whether it smells good. I think that many people would have different opinions about how a Godly many should smell. I agree with you that the claim is very outrageous in this commercial. I also do not believe that Old Spice will make you do all the unbelievable things that the guy does in the commercial. Overall, good example and great job connecting it with the text.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,
    I provided a similar example for my post as well. I did my old spice ad with the Ray Lewis in it. It is really surprising, how ads for the same product have different claims, for different characters. I can see how these ads mold their premises around the main character they are portraying. Your ad talks about how it is to be the perfect man, while the ad that I have provided depicts why people would want to be like him, instead of smelling like that man. All in all, I liked how you caught the premises in this ad. I can totally see the whole old spice issue be a subjective thing. Good example though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This commercial is hilarious! It is an excellent marketing scheme on the part of Old Spice. These commercials are so funny because they are enticing, funny, and they evoke curiosity within the audience it is marketing to. Old Spice markets their products in a very intuitive and effective manor. As you stated, the commercials make claims that state that old spice will make you smell manly, and all of the other ridiculous yet funny effects added into the commercial are just there for entertainment. I completely agree with you and Old Spice smells pretty good to me! Great example and great way of explaining in detail your position on the commercial!

    ReplyDelete