Friday, October 22, 2010

What I Learned in Chapter 8

In chapter 8, I learned the exact definition of "some", which means "at least one" or "at least one, but not all." This really caught my attention because the examples they gave in the book showed just how vague using the word "some" is. The funny thing is, it is a word we all use frequently when we are unsure of our answer or if you want to be purposely vague. Take me for example, whenenver my Mom asks me if I've finished my homework, I'll simply reply, "Yeah, some of it..." To her, "some" means at least half, to me, its writing down the first sentence of my essay!


I also learned the direct way of reasoning with all.

All S are P
A is S
So A is P

Reasoning directly with all produces valid arguments, so its no wonder its something I frequently used myself, but didn't have a clear definition for, it was just something that I knew worked. For example, a discussion I had with my friend.

Jimmy: Hey is a 98 3-series rear-wheel drive?
Alan: Well, all BMWs up until recently are rear-wheel drive. That car is a 98 3-series, so I'm going to have to say yes, it is rear-wheel drive.

2 comments:

  1. Chapter 8 post was really good. You made it more understandable to me because i did not understand it that well. I like how you put the words, the definition of each one and when to use it for the claim for a good argument. Your diagram well explained and useful for your example. I liked the 3 series BMW example of the rear-wheel drive that fit the diagram to be a true statement. overall you did a great job on this post, you had a clear post and examples. I hope to read more from you over the next few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey M3,

    I like how you further explained this concept from chapter 8 by using the example of you and your mom. I agree with the part where you mentioned how vague the word "some" is, and how frequently we all use it without knowing what it is we're really saying. Since it has such an ambiguous meaning, most of us tend to mix it up and say what we really don't mean when we use "some" instead of something that's more correct. The one part that was really funny in your blog was how you mentioned that "some" meant half or almost all of your homework to your mother. However, to you, it's interpreted as the very first part, or maybe about 1% of the whole thing.. HAHA! That really cracked me up and made me laugh out loud. Great sense of humor in addition to being informative about this subject. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete