Saturday, November 20, 2010

Mission Critical Website

I really liked the Mission Critical site. All of the info is laid out in a way that it is extremely easy to find what you are looking for. Also browsing through the links gave me a ton of information about the different topics such as parts of an argument and all the different kinds of fallacies. Each section is also provided with an exercise that you can do to help you understand the topic better, which I thought was really useful because it is something you can practice on for the final. One thing that popped up in the previous exercise that I have never heard of before was "post hoc reasoning". Lucky for me, the Mission Critical website had a link explaining all about it. It is basically a falacy that states that "A preceeds B, therefore A caused B". Having it laid out in a simple manner like that really helped me to understand it, which is why I will definitely be reffering back to this site when it comes time to study for the final!

3 comments:

  1. I too thought that the lay out of the Mission critical site was very conducive in terms of searching for the needed material. I bookmarked the page because of this very reason, and I can easily see referencing it in the future. The examples, or excises, were also very helpful. This is the way that I like to learn. If I read through something that has potential for error, I like to practice it in a real setting. In this way the main points are set for a clear foundation. Thank you for your comments, and I hope you have a great holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey M3! I too found this website to be very informative and useful when it comes to everything we've been working on and have been talking about ! All the links provided definitely helped me and gave me a better understanding of what everything was. I think all the information provided on the website would give us all a better understanding and be a great review for when we need to study for the final. I agree with you on terms that this is something I would definitely look back on and go over when the final comes around. Also, the concept of "pos hoc" also striked me as something unsual, and was something that I did a little reading and research on as well, since I have never heard of it either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I really agree with your post. Mine was very similar. I definitely liked how they broke up the subtopics into different links so that it was easy to navigate, and it was also nice to get more information than the book. I, personally, feel like the book can be too brief at times when it comes to describing some things; such as different types of fallacies. It’s funny you mentioned the “post hoc reasoning” because I also saw that and was curious as to what it was. This is a good example of how the book excludes some information. I don’t even think that type of reasoning is mentioned. Anyways, great post! Glad we had similar views on the website.

    ReplyDelete